If you are facing criminal charges in the State of Nebraska you already know that a conviction can have far reaching, and long lasting, negative consequences. The most important step you can take to help ensure a positive outcome for you and your future is to retain the services of an experienced Nebraska criminal defense attorney. Once you have hired a criminal defense attorney though, what else can you do to help? A Nebraska criminal defense attorney answers that question by providing a list of things you can do to help your attorney throughout the prosecution of your case.
- Be organized – before your initial consultation with your criminal defense attorney, take the time to go through all documents you have regarding the case and make copies to give to your attorney. Also, sit down and write out your version of the events that are relevant to the charges against you.
- Be honest – one of the most difficult things for many clients to do is to be honest with their attorney. Sometimes this is because they have a general mistrust of anyone outside of their immediate circle or because they have a specific mistrust of anyone involved in the legal system. You only hurt yourself and your defense, however, by not being honest with your defense attorney. Your attorney will not ask you about something unless he/she needs to know the answer. If your attorney does ask you about something, however, it means that the information is important to your defense. Keep in mind that anything you share with your defense attorney is confidential, meaning your attorney cannot share the information with a third party except in extremely narrow circumstances, such as if you tell your attorney you are going to kill a judge.
- Be patient – of course you are worried about the outcome of your case; however, rushing your defense, or rushing into a plea agreement is rarely in your best interest. It takes time to go over everything the state provides and then develop a potentially winning defense.
- Be available – while it is certainly not helpful to blow up your attorney’s phone nor is it helpful to expect an in-person meeting every week while your case is pending, it is helpful to be available when your attorney needs to talk to you or consult with you about an issue in your case.
- Be realistic – you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney for his/her expertise, guidance, and advice. Do not make the mistake of ignoring it. Be realistic about what your attorney can, and cannot, do for you. For example, if you know you are guilty, the State’s evidence against you is overwhelming, and the police did not violate any of your rights, a conviction may be unavoidable. Expecting your attorney to perform a miracle and get an acquittal is simply unrealistic.
- Be prepared – come to appointments with your attorney prepared and come to court prepared.
- Be good! – while you are out on bail during the pendency of your case, do not get arrested for another offense and do not otherwise violate the terms of your release. Not only do you risk going back to jail, but it makes it much more difficult for your attorney to negotiate a plea on your behalf, convince a judge of something relating to you, or make a convincing argument for leniency during sentencing if you are ultimately convicted.
Each one of these can be a big help to your attorney and, therefore, will ultimately help you.
Contact a Nebraska Criminal Defense Attorney
If you have been charged with a criminal offense in the State of Nebraska, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced Nebraska criminal defense lawyer right away to discuss possible defenses. In Nebraska contact Petersen Criminal Defense Law 24 hours a day at 402-509-8070 to discuss your case with an experienced criminal defense attorney.
Latest posts by Tom Petersen (see all)
- Free Holiday Sober Rides - Monday, August 19, 2019
- Omaha Drug Crime Attorney Explains Search and Seizure Law Basics - Friday, August 2, 2019
- Will I Have to Register As a Sex Offender in Nebraska? - Friday, July 26, 2019