Since the “War on Drugs” began back in the 1970s, both the federal government and the individual state governments have consistently increased booth the strength of their drug offense laws and the penalties for a violation of those laws. If you are currently facing charges for a state or federal drug offense in the State of Nebraska the best thing you can do for yourself is to retain the services of the right drug crime attorney. Do not make the mistake of thinking that your need for an attorney is directly related to the severity level of the charges against you. Even a conviction for a misdemeanor drug offense can have serious long-term negative consequences. Why does hiring the right drug crime attorney matter? Because the right attorney may be able to do all of the following for you:
- Get you out on bond – often, the initial bond set shortly after your arrest is too high for you to be able to pay. The right attorney may be able to get you in front of the judge and request a bond reduction. Your attorney can present evidence and make an argument as to why your bond should be lowered. If successful, you will be released from custody while your case is pending. This alone is enough reason to hire the right attorney!
- Explain your situation to you – many attorneys do not take the time to educate their clients. It is your life and your freedom on the line. You deserve to understand, in as much detail as you want, exactly what your situation is and what the potential outcomes are in your attorney’s opinion.
- Evaluate the state’s case against you – any attorney will do a cursory evaluation of the case against a client, but a really good defense attorney will dig in and really evaluate the case – backward and forward, looking for even the smallest mistake made by the police or the smallest kernel of reasonable doubt.
- Investigate the case – an attorney who has the resources to actually go out and conduct an independent investigation can be a huge advantage. Something may turn up that results in a dismissal or a victory at trial.
- Protect your rights – as an accused, you have a number of constitutional rights. Everyone involved in the criminal justice systems understands these rights; however, not everyone honors them. A goof drug crime attorney will make sure your rights are protected throughout the prosecution of your case.
- Prevent you from making a mistake – though it may not seem like it, you can actually make your situation worse while the case is pending. There are several ways in which you can do this, including the obvious such as getting arrested again.
- Challenge illegal conduct – if the law enforcement officers who worked your case did something illegal, such as conduct a search without a warrant or the grounds for an exception to the warrant requirement, a good criminal defense attorney may be able to get any evidence obtained as a result of that conduct thrown out.
- Provide you with advice – though many attorneys avoid making this point with their clients, most decisions made in a criminal prosecution are the defendant’s to make. Your attorney is there to provide your with advice and guidance; however, decisions such as whether or not to go to trial are yours to make.
- Negotiate a favorable plea agreement – if you decide to consider pleading guilty, the right drug crime attorney can negotiate you a plea agreement with the most favorable terms possible to you in the agreement. Contrary to what many people believe, all plea agreements are not the same.
- Defend you at trial – if you decide to take your case to trial, you need an attorney with the knowledge, experience, and determination necessary to defend you to the fullest at trial.
It should be clear by now why retaining the services of the right drug crime attorney matters. If you are involved in a criminal investigation, or have been charged with a crime, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced Nebraska criminal defense lawyer immediately. Contact Petersen Criminal Defense Law 24 hours a day at 402-509-8070 to discuss your case with an experienced criminal defense attorney today.
Latest posts by Tom Petersen (see all)
- Free Holiday Sober Rides - Monday, August 19, 2019
- Omaha Drug Crime Attorney Explains Search and Seizure Law Basics - Friday, August 2, 2019
- Will I Have to Register As a Sex Offender in Nebraska? - Friday, July 26, 2019