If you have recently been arrested and charged with driving under the influence, or another alcohol or drug related driving offense, in Omaha, Nebraska you are undoubtedly concerned about the outcome of the charges against you. You may also be wondering how our local Omaha impaired driving lawyers can help you.
People frequently make the mistake of assuming that because they were arrested for driving under the influence, or DUI, that they will automatically be convicted of the offense. While the officer who arrested you and the prosecuting attorney would like for you to believe that, it simply is not true. Moreover, even if a conviction is inevitable, not a plea bargains are created equal. Having an experienced Omaha DUI attorney on your side can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. While each case is unique, some of ways in which an experienced Omaha DUI attorney may be able to help you include:
- Reducing your bond. If the bond set in your case is too high for you to make your Omaha DUI attorney can work to get the bond amount reduced to an amount that you and/or your loved ones are able to pay.
- Reviewing the initial stop. Contrary to popular belief the police do actually need a legal reason to pull you over. If no legal reason existed, the stop could be challenged.
- Reviewing the field sobriety test results. These tests are frequently not performed properly by law enforcement officers, making the results essentially meaningless.
- Challenging the chemical test results. If you took a breath test, your attorney will check to see if the machine used was properly calibrated and if the machine operator was certified to conduct the test. Your attorney may also be able to use defenses such as the “rising alcohol” defense if applicable to argue that you were not over the legal limit when you were operating your vehicle.
- Representing you at the hearing if your license was suspended because you allegedly refused the chemical test.
- Negotiating the best plea agreement possible. If a convictions is eminent, your Omaha DUI attorney knows how to negotiate a plea agreement that is as favorable as possible for you.
If you have been charged with DUI, or another alcohol or drug related driving offense in the Omaha, Nebraska area, contact the Omaha, Nebraska law office of Petersen Law Office 24 hours a day at 402-513-2180 to discuss your options.