Most people acknowledge that mental illness and drug addiction are common precursors to criminal behavior. Individuals who suffer from an undiagnosed and/or untreated mental illness often try to “self-medicate.” Drug addicts who run out of legitimate sources of money to pay for their drug habit will often turn to crime as a source of money. Many of these individuals eventually end up serving lengthy sentences in a state or federal prison.
Topics covered in this report include:
- How Serious Is the Problem?
- What Are Problem-Solving Courts
- What Types of Treatment Courts Are Available?
- Who Is Eligible for a Problem-Solving Court?
- How Is a Case Transferred to a Treatment Court?
- How Does Treatment Court Work?
- What Are the Benefits of Participating in a Problem-Solving Court?
Click here to read the whole article or download the PDF.
- Who Is Prohibited from Possessing a Firearm in Nebraska? - Thursday, May 18, 2023
- Understanding a No Contact Order - Monday, May 15, 2023
- How Long Does a Minor in Possession Stay on Your Record in Nebraska? - Monday, April 10, 2023