Were you recently arrested and charged with a criminal offense in the State of Nebraska? If so, you are likely facing serious penalties if convicted of that offense. The extent and nature of the penalties you face will depend on factors such as the severity level of the offense and your own criminal history, or lack thereof. One of the first decisions you should make is whether to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you or go it alone. Without a doubt, you are better off with an experienced attorney on your side to protect you and your rights throughout the prosecution of your case. In order, to help you recognize the importance of having an experienced attorney on your side, consider the following 5 reasons you need an Omaha criminal defense attorney.
How Can an Omaha Criminal Defense Attorney Help You?
- To protect your constitutional rights. As an accused in the United States, you have a number of important constitutional rights that are intended to protect you from the moment you become a suspect in a criminal investigation. Some of the more commonly known of these rights include the right to remain silent, the right to confront and cross-examine witnesses, and the right against unreasonable searches and seizures. These rights can only help you, however, if you understand them and you know how and when to assert them. An Omaha criminal defense attorney will make sure your rights are protected and asserted when appropriate.
- To educate and explain. For most people, being charged with a criminal offense is a fairly traumatic experience. In addition, the legal system can be intimidating and difficult to navigate under the best of circumstances. If you are the defendant in a criminal case, those are clearly not the best of circumstances. You need an attorney on your side to ensure that you have a clear understanding of the charges against you, including exactly what the State of Nebraska must prove to convict you. You also need an attorney to help you understand the steps involved in a criminal prosecution.
- To investigate and analyze. The State of Nebraska has the burden of proving you guilty beyond a reasonable doubt when you are charged with a crime. That doesn’t mean you should not be prepared to launch a vigorous defense if you have one. It simply means you are not required to prove, or disprove, anything. Your attorney, however, has the experience and expertise to be able to analyze the State’s evidence against you and determine the strength of that evidence. An attorney can also conduct his/her own investigation into the allegations against you which may produce exculpatory evidence and/or witnesses.
- To negotiate on your behalf. The vast majority of criminal cases are resolved without the need for a trial. If you are actually guilty, that does not mean you don’t need an attorney. On the contrary, it usually means you need an attorney to negotiate a plea agreement on your behalf to ensure that the agreement you ultimately sign is as favorable to you as possible.
- To defend you. The most obvious reason you need an Omaha criminal defense attorney is to defend you at a trial. A successful criminal defense involves much more than simply declaring your innocence. The State of Nebraska has the burden of proving you guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. You need an attorney who understands what the State is trying to accomplish and who can decide how best to react to what the State plans to present at trial. Even before trial, however, your defense attorney will start defending you by ensuring that your rights are protected and by thoroughly analyzing the case against you for weaknesses or for illegal conduct on the part of the authorities.
If you have been charged with criminal offense in the State of Nebraska it is certainly in your best interest to consult with an experienced Omaha criminal defense lawyer right away. In Nebraska contact Petersen Criminal Defense Law 24 hours a day at 402-509-8070 to discuss your case with an experienced criminal defense attorney.