If you have been accused of a criminal offense, the first and most important step you should take is to retain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney. At the Cass County, Nebraska law firm of Petersen Criminal Defense Law, we understand that choosing someone to represent you in a criminal prosecution is not an easy task given what is at stake. We made the decision a long time ago to focus our practice solely on representing people in criminal matters – people just like you who are accused of a crime. We are dedicated to protecting the rights of an accused person and providing an aggressive and zealous defense to every client. When your freedom and future are in the balance you need a committed criminal defense attorney by your side. You need the team at Petersen Criminal Defense Law.
The History of Cass County, Nebraska
On June 2, 1739, Pierre and Paul Mallet reached the mouth of a river they called the “Platte” and followed the river upstream for 70 miles, becoming the first white men to explore the area now known as Nebraska. During the years that followed, numerous towns cropped up throughout the state, but many eventually died out, becoming “ghost towns.” One area of the state that steadily grew, though, was Cass County.
Cass County was approved by Territorial Legislature March 7, 1855, making it one of the earliest settled counties in Nebraska. The county was named in honor of General Lewis Cass of Michigan (1782-1866), an American statesman and patriot who took an active part in the fight over the Kansas-Nebraska bill. Cass was the Democratic nominee for President in 1848. With 15 towns, Cass County eventually grew to become one of the largest counties in the state.
Cass County, Nebraska Today
Bounded on the north by the Platte River and on the east by the Missouri River, the county measures approximately 50 miles east to west and 30 miles north to south and has a population of about 26,000 people. Among the cities and towns in Cass County are the 15 “anchor” towns that have survived and flourished for over a century, including:
- ALVO: Established in 1888 as a stop on the Rock Island route and named after the stationmaster’s daughter.
- AVOCA: Incorporated in 1857. The name is probably derived from Thomas Moore’s poem “Sweet Vale of Avoca”, extolling a river in Ireland.
- CEDAR CREEK: Platted in 1854 and named for a nearby creek with cedar trees growing along its bank.
- EAGLE: Established in 1869 and originally named “Sunlight”. The name was changed to Eagle in 1887 after an eagle was shot in the area.
- ELMWOOD: Founded in 1868 and named by David McCaig, first postmaster, for a grove of elm trees. The first town site was located on Stove Creek approximately 2 ½ miles northeast of the present site.
- GREENWOOD: Established in 1869 and named after Silas Greenwood, a trapper and hunter who was the first resident of the town.
- LOUISVILLE: Platted in 1857. Some sources say the town was named for Louisville, Kentucky; others say it was named for a Mr. Lois who operated a grist mill.
- MANLEY: Established in 1883 and originally named “Summit”. There is a controversy over the name “Manley”: three different ranchmen who lived in the vicinity called it “Manley” and each thought the town was named after him.
- MURDOCK: Established in 1890 and named in honor of Mr. Murdock, a member of the town site company for the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad.
- MURRAY: Established in 1884 as “Fairview”. The name was later changed to honor the Reverend George L. Murray, Pastor of the United Presbyterian Church.
- NEHAWKA: Settled in 1855 by Samuel Kirkpatrick where he built a sawmill on Weeping Water Creek. The town was named by Isaac Pollard who, while on a trip to Washington, D.C., thumbed through a book of Indian names and chose the name “Nehawka”.
- PLATTSMOUTH: Established as a ferrying point of the Missouri River in 1852 by Samuel Martin. The name comes from its location at the confluence of the Platte and Missouri Rivers.
- SOUTH BEND: Established in 1856 and named for its geographical location on the south bend of the Platte River.
- UNION: Settlement began in 1857 and the town was platted in 1887. The name reflected the favoring of the Union during the Civil War.
- WEEPING WATER: Established in 1857 and named for the creek called by the French “L’eau qui Pleure” or “the Water that Weeps”.
Petersen Criminal Defense Law in the Cass County, Community
The criminal justice system can be confusing and difficult to navigate under the best of conditions. If you or a loved one are a defendant in that system, you are hardly operating under the best of conditions. At Petersen Criminal Defense Law we understand the stress and worry you and your loved ones are experiencing. Knowing you have an experienced and committed criminal defense attorney on your side will go a long way toward easing that anxiety. We have a long history of defending and protecting people just like you in the Cass County community and stand ready and waiting to defend and protect you as well.
Unless you have been through the criminal justice system before, it can be intimidating and confusing to find yourself suddenly thrust into the middle of it. Along with defending the underlying accusations, you must figure out how to navigate the system quickly or you could make a costly mistake. The key to protecting your rights and developing a successful defense strategy is to retain the services of an experienced and aggressive criminal defense attorney as early in the process as possible.
In fact, it is in the earliest stages of a criminal investigation and/or prosecution when defendants tend to make costly mistakes because of their inexperienced with the system. To prevent making those mistakes yourself, stick to a few basic rules prior to hiring an attorney. First, do not discuss your case with anyone. This includes your spouse, your mother, or your cellmate. Anyone could potentially be forced to testify against you down the road or choose to do so as part of a deal with the State. Remember that the police are not your friends and that it is perfectly legal for them to lie to you during an investigation. Finally, do not make your situation worse by attempting to flee or by drowning your sorrows and getting into more trouble. Instead, focus on hiring a criminal defense attorney to protect and defend you. The criminal defense team at Petersen Criminal Defense Law has a long history of protecting and defending the rights of people who have been accused of a crime and we would be honored to provide that same level of protection and defense to you.
If you have been charged with a criminal offense in Cass County, Nebraska, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney right away to discuss your legal rights and/or defenses. In Nebraska contact Petersen Criminal Defense Law 24 hours a day at 402-509-8070.