Hiring an attorney is a highly personal choice that should be done with care and contemplation. If you are hiring the attorney because you have been charged with a criminal offense, even more care is required as your freedom and your future are at stake. If you have been charged with driving under the influence, or DUI, in Omaha and are searching for the right DUI attorney in Omaha to represent you, consider asking the following questions:
- How long have you been practicing law? Longer isn’t always better but as a general rule an attorney who has been practicing for a number of years has gained valuable experience.
- How much of your practice is devoted to DUI cases? You obviously want an attorney whose practice focuses primarily on criminal and DUI defense.
- Do you specialize in DUIs? An attorney who specializes in one type of case clearly has the edge.
- How many cases have you tried? Trial work is very different from other types of lawyering. If you plan to go to trial you want an attorney who is comfortable in the courtroom.
- What is your success rate? Not all criminal cases can be “won”. Success may also mean successfully negotiated a plea agreement or negotiated the charges down.
- What defenses are available in a case like mine? The attorney should be able to provide you with an overview of possible defenses.
- Do you tend to negotiate plea agreements or fight the case? Some attorneys focus more on negotiating pleas and some focus on going to trial.
- How much do you charge? Of course you need to know what your defense will cost you. Remember, you often get what you pay for.
- Will you appeal the case if we lose? No attorney can guarantee you will win the case. Find out what happens if you lose.
- Why should I hire you? This offers the attorney the opportunity to tell you anything you haven’t already covered with your questions.
None of these questions alone will provide you with enough information to make a hiring decision; however, if you ask all of them the combined answers should provide you with a good idea of the attorney’s background, skills, and expertise.
In the end, you should have an idea how the attorney will handle your case, what to expect along the way and most importantly, have gut feeling that he will do a good job for you.
If you are facing DUI charges in Omaha, consult with an experienced Omaha DUI attorney as soon as possible. For a free case evaluation, contact Petersen Law Office 24 hours a day at 402-513-2180.
- How to Register a Firearm in Nebraska - Monday, March 13, 2023
- Nebraska Trespassing Laws - Sunday, March 12, 2023
- Murder vs. Manslaughter Charges in Nebraska - Thursday, March 9, 2023